Tuesday, March 6, 2012

E349S Introduction

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
-Robin Williams

 The name is Alexis George Cownan, and in my eyes, the world is a playground. If you want a chemical break down of who I am, it goes as follows: one part Harvey Spector (for all you Suits fans out there), two parts Charlie Sheen,  3.14 percent Jabbawockee, 50 percent Barney Stinson (gotta love How I Met Your Mother), and 100% me.

 I was born in Dix Hills, New York, which is about thirty minutes from the Big Apple otherwise known as The City That Never Sleeps (true story). I am a third year English major with minors in Philosophy and Government, and I will be going to Law School after my undergraduate endeavors. My end goal is to be a corporate lawyer or go into litigation. Currently, I reside in Katy, Texas. Although I am physically in Texas, my heart will always be in New York. I come from a humongous extended family as my mother has ten siblings and my dad has eight! The majority of my cousins live in the Northeast, so I visit the New England area every summer and winter for the most part. Enough about my past, let's get into my present.

 I am very outgoing and very much so outspoken. A lot of my friends refer to me as a sort of Harlequin, as I hate being serious. Life is too short, and when I look back, I want to know I did everything I could with my little time here and have no regrets whatsoever. I am of South Indian descent and a first generation American. I have one younger sister, Alyssa Cownan, who will be going to St. Johns University this coming Fall in their Physician Assistant Program! Woot!

 My freshman year at UT, I started a chapter of a fraternity, Iota Nu Delta. Most of my cousins were major contributors to South Asian Greek life and Greek life in general across the nation. Because of that I was always interested in getting my foot in the door. Iota Nu Delta was founded on February 7, 1994, and stands as a pillar for the ultimate definition of brotherhood. We believe in quality over quantity and I wanted to create a fraternity at UT that broke all racial boundaries. Iota Nu Delta provides an extensive professional network to UT students and a nationally acclaimed family to individuals of all descents, creating a melting pot of experiences and lifelong friendships. I have served as the Social Chair, Pledge Master, President and I am currently taking the role of Step/Stroll Captain. I choreograph and perform various dance routines with my fraternity Step/Stroll team campus wide. It has been a humbling experience and a mind blowing journey thus far.
]
 My family is well versed in the arts, and I have been brought up learning various instruments and styles of dance. I learned to play the clarinet and piano at a young age, and have tried my best to keep up with such talents throughout my college years. I trained under the tutelage of Divya Unni, a renowned Indian dancer for years in Houston, mastering various forms of Indian dance, as well as training in contemporary dance, hip hop, and break dancing. Freshman year I helped start UT Saaya, a dance team that competes nationally on behalf of UT, as we have competed across the nation and all over Texas over the last three years. It is a fusion dance team inspired by Asian and Western Influences. I am also on a fusion dance team in Houston known as Shingari's School of Rhythm (SSR), which performs and competes internationally for various events and tournaments. Dance has always been a huge part of my life, and I will continue to perform and practice throughout my life!
  
  As far as Carroll and Hopkins goes, I honestly have not studied Hopkins ever, but I have studied Carroll back in the good ole' High School days. I am excited to further my knowledge on both writers, as I love writing. I came to UT as Biology Pre-Med major, seeing the majority of my family has gone into Medicine and Engineering (totally rocking the racial stereotypes, I know), but I came to realize my passion rests in English and writing. I have fervor for learning, and I find Carroll to be a peculiar and interesting author, so I am very excited to learn more about his writings and life. Bring on Alice and bring on all the awesomeness (I also like to make up new words) Hopkins wrote!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment